Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Irony of Adulthood

When I was a little boy I crave nothing more then just food sold in the street cart or a simple ice cream cone from the local store. Food seemed to taste much better in those days. I guess it had a lot to do with lack of pocket money. A simple night market visit was considered as more of a treat then norm.

In my late teens, I used to envy those who could afford to eat in a restaurant, drive a car, and own a color TV. I was denied all of those amenities in life because I was living alone in United Kingdom with very limited budget. The scholarship money, although paid for all tuitions, catered to only the modest needs of my daily living.

As an adult, I have acquired almost everything that I longed for in the past and yet I no longer have the time to enjoy what I have acquired. My healthy appetite for food is tinted with fear of gaining weight. I ate at restaurant because I didn’t have time to cook meals at home. I have a big screen TV but I rarely find entertainment channels amusing. I drive a car but it is merely a vehicle taking me from A to B. My desire to rid the world of corruptions and evil is replaced with endless responsibilities at work.

Isn’t ironic that when you had all the time and energy as a young adult you didn’t have the wealth or the maturity to take the advantage of them but when you’ve acquired the wealth and wisdom you become encumbered with responsibilities and old age.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Cheng - NightOwl413 said...

Very true ... so that's why, so many people are looking forward to retirement... seems like that's when the life actually starts. In fact, many people are willing to make the 1st bulk of their lives a living hell just so they can enjoy the final part. As for me, I think the process is just as important as the end result, which includes life. Having so much $$ has no meaning if you have no time to spend it (except on hospital bills).

We shall all indulge ourselves once in awhile: eating all we want without worrying about weight ... driving to wherever ... not just from point A to B ... enjoying a game with a beer or cocktail while propping in front of the big screen TV ...

Occasionally, a getaway from reality is needed.

Carlita said...

I think that we just have to enjoy the moment. Don't think about what you don't have and wish to have...
because this way you will feel sad and disappointed, in stead just enjoy your life as it is, with the things you have.

We all have to learn to appreciate the things we have and I am sure that by doing so we will live a happier life.