Friday, October 3, 2008

I Create, I Own, I Love


A friend of mine sent me a set of photos he took from a trip to the ancient Angkor stone city in Cambodia. They were very nice pictures indeed. I downloaded all of them to the collections of photos that I have but labeled the folder Angkor+ the name of my friend. I did this because I felt the photos are not mine; I did not take them on my own.

Come to think of it, that has been my attitude towards photos all along. I remember purchasing slides from NASA on several celestial bodies, but I never got to really enjoy them because they were not my personal work. Ironically, to own a picture of Saturn and its ring at that magnification is not possible even with the most expensive commercial equipment.

Now I know why people will risk their lives rescuing old pictures, paintings, or letters in a blazing fire; we simply value things that we created.
I guess this is why it’s easy to divorce your spouse but hard to disown you children.
It’s easy to change your job but hard to throw away your career.
After all, our love for all things, inanimate or living, is merely a manifestation of our own creation.

No comments: